my life 4 jesus.co.za
You have Magnified Your Word above All Your Name,
I recently had an encounter with a Muslim, who asked some perfectly legitimate questions concerning some Bible Scriptures, which seem to contradict one another. Even Christians get very confused when trying to interpret the Roman Catholic/Protestant Good Friday/Easter Monday Feast in the light of the following verses without considering the contextual truth of all for Gospels and the Levitical law.
Question: “In Matthew 27 and 28:1, Jesus died on Friday, right? If Mary Magdalene visits the sepulcher on Sunday morning to find it empty... that only counts as 2 nights (24 hours) and 1 (12 hour) day, which is 36 hours. But Jesus said he will rise AFTER three whole days and three whole nights, which is at least 72 hours? Someone must be lying, right?”
· I am only interested in believing and telling the WHOLE TRUTH of Scripture. The four Gospels, as all Scripture, have to be interpreted together. To focus on certain verses of only one Gospel, will always be confusing. JESUS HIMSELF SAID HE WOULD BE IN THE GRAVE FOR THREE NIGHTS AND THREE DAYS, a literal 72-hour period. Anyone who denies this truth, dares to make Jesus into a liar! Jesus declared unmistakably, “...As Jonah were three days and three nights [a 72-hour period] in the belly of the great fish, so will the Son of Man be three days and three nights [a 72-hour period] in the heart of the earth…” (Mt. 12:38-40; Jonah 1:17; Jn. 19:13-36; 31:33.)
· God Himself, (and the Hebrews who wrote the Old Testament,) knew very well that 24 hours account for ONE DAY AND ONE NIGHT — which is a whole ‘day.’ God Himself created TIME on earth, in Gen. 1:5, “God called the light Day, and the darkness He called Night. So the EVENING [NIGHT] and the morning [DAY] were the first day” — a 24 hour period.
· Where God says, to Him, “one day is like a thousand years and a thousand years are like one day,” He was speaking metaphorically; referring to heaven, the afterlife, or eternity, not to literal time here on earth! Three hours of a day can never account for a full 24-hour day as twisters of the Scriptures and Hebrew time allege.
· Many Christians also reject the logic phrase “AFTER three days and three nights He will rise” and use the phrase “ON the third day He will rise” in their attempt to change Jesus’ ‘three nights AND three days’ in the grave to fit into the 2 nights and 1 day of the Good Friday/Easter Monday feast. They even use references from the book of Ester uncontextually to substantiate their claim. However, a 72-hour period does not end ‘ON’ (interpreted as while the time is still running,) but AFTER the period is over!
· Why so many different interpretations and wordplay on such an important event? Jesus is not a man that He should lie. If we find ‘discrepancies’ in Scripture, we headstrong humans are always at fault! In the CONTEXT of “all” Scripture, everything we need to know about Jesus’ time in the grave was WRITTEN for us in ‘all’ or the entire context of Scripture.
THE 8-DAY PASSOVER FEAST ITSELF, AND ALL FOUR GOSPELS TOGETHER, HOLD THE KEY TO THIS ‘MYSTERY:’
· It is vital to remember that the old Hebrews counted a 24-hour day from SUNSET to SUNSET, not from morning to morning, or midnight to midnight like we do. However, they always saw ONE day as a 24-hour period of night and day!
¨ John declared in 19:14-16, 31, [Jesus died on the cross at 3 o’clock p.m., the Jewish ninth hour.] “Because it was the Preparation Day, that the bodies should not had to remain on the cross on the HIGH Sabbath Day, [which began 3 hours later at sunset,] the Jews asked Pilate that their legs might be broken, and that they might be taken away [before dark or the beginning of the HIGH Sabbath Day, which was the first day of the 7-day Feast of Unleavened Bread.]”
· It is an unquestionable fact that this High Sabbath, which followed Jesus’ death, was not the usual Saturday Sabbath. Wikipedia Encyclopedia explains, “High Sabbaths, in Christian and Messianic Jewish usage, are seven annual festivals and [Sabbath] rest days, recorded in the books of Leviticus and Deuteronomy…”
· “Preparation Day” means, (Holman’s Bible Dictionary,) “The day of the week in which Jews prepared necessities to avoid work on the [or A] Sabbath (compare Ex. 20:8-11; Mat. 12:1-14; John 9:14-16 )...”
1. The Passover Feast is actually an 8-day Feast. In Ex. 12, God said to the Hebrews in Egypt, “On the 14th of Nisan, [the first month of the Hebrew year…] the assembly… shall kill [the lamb] at twilight… and eat the flesh on that night…” [On that same night, sometime after midnight, the Hebrews left Egypt.] Lev. 23:5-7 continues, "On the 14th day of the 1st month Nisan AT TWILIGHT is the Lord's Passover. The 15th day of the same month is the Feast of Unleavened Bread to the Lord…” Ex. 12:14-18, “Seven days [after Passover day] you shall eat unleavened bread… On the FIRST… and SEVENTH day there shall be a holy convocation. NO MANNER OF WORK shall be done on them…” From the context of all four Gospels and the Levitical law, it is immovably clear that there were TWO SABBATH DAYS THAT WEEK.
2. In Lu. 22:1,7-8,15-20, Mt. 26:17-54, Jn. 13, and Mark 14, (at the beginning of 14th Nissan at sunset,) Jesus ate the Passover Feast with His disciples and instituted the Lord’s Supper. That same Passover night, He was arrested in Gethsemane and put on trial. That morning of Passover day, 14th Nissan, He was brought before Pilate and crucified on the cross. He died at 3 o’clock p.m. out time; the Jewish ninth hour.
3. The First day of the Feast of Unleavened Bread, 15th Nissan, is a High Sabbath and thus, no one was able to work. Holman’s Bible Dictionary, “The Feast of Passover was immediately followed by the holy convocation of the Feast of Unleavened Bread (Leviticus 23:1-7 ). No one worked on [Sabbaths] so a DAY OF PREPARATION, [which was also Passover Day] was set aside to prepare for this [High Sabbath] (John 19:14 ). John identified the day of preparation as Passover Day, the day of Jesus' execution (John 19:14, John 19:31, John 19:42,) and then he placed the Last Supper before Passover (John 13:1). However, the Synoptic Gospels dated the Last Supper on the day of Passover (Luke 22:7, Matthew 26:1-2; Mark 14:12)...”
4. Fact remains, all four Gospels agree that Jesus died on Preparation Day, NOT because this day was the Roman Catholic ‘Good Friday,’ but because it was Passover Day, the day before the High Sabbath of the 7-day Feast of Unleavened Bread, which began at sunset. According to the Levitical law, Jesus was slain on Passover Day as the Ultimate Lamb of God.
5. Jesus died at three in the afternoon (our time) on Passover Day.
6. He was buried before sunset on Passover Day.
7. The first High Sabbath of the 7-day Feast of Unleavened Bread began THAT sunset until sunset the next day.
8. Jesus was in the grave since SUNSET (6 p.m.) on Wednesday, when the High Sabbath of Unleavened Bread began.
9. Jesus rose from the grave some time AFTER SUNSET on Saturday, when the Jewish new week began.
· IT IS SOUND SCRIPTURAL FACT THAT THE WEEKLY HEBREW SABBATH (SATURDAY) WAS NOT THE ONLY SABBATH DAY DURING THE PASSOVER FEAST. JESUS WAS NOT CRUCIFIED ON A FRIDAY AS THE ROMAN CATHOLIC CHURCH AND HER PROTESTANT AFFILIATES TEACH. THEY TWISTED SCRIPTURE, THE LEVITICAL LAW, HISTORICAL FACT, AND THE HEBREW TIMELINE TO JUSTIFY THEIR UNGODLY GOOD FRIDAY/EASTER MONDAY FEAST.
Here follows the Scriptural and logic Hebrew timeline of the week when Jesus died, was buried for 72 hours, and was risen from the grave:
“YOU HAVE CORRUPTED THE BIBLE; YOU HAVE NO GROUND TO STAND ON”:
Greeson (in The Camel Method) and his disciples believe that, by preaching the Gospel outright, we will offend pagans and ‘loose’ them for all eternity. Instead of preaching the Gospel straightforwardly, Greeson teaches that we should respect the sincerity of Muslims, [the Muslim faith,] because Mohammed respected the Christian faith. Mohammed supposedly wrote the Qur’an with good intentions, and leaned heavily on Bible-Scripture in writing the Qur’an, therefore some Islamic scripture can be used to prove to Muslims that they must obey the Bible.
When you read the Qur’an yourself, however, an entirely different picture emerges.
Surah 5:65-75 actually proclaim, “If only the People of the [Bible] Book had believed [in the Muslim message] and been righteous [through following the Islamic path,] WE, [not the God of the Bible,] should have blotted out their iniquities and admitted them into the Garden… [This is the Islamic Paradise not the Biblical heaven.]
V. 66: “If only they had stood fast by the Law, [the Jewish Torah, or Pentateuch, the 5 books of Moses,] the Gospel, [the historical Books which describe the life of Jesus; not the epistles…] and all the revelation that was sent to them from their Lord… but many of them follow a course that is evil, [the teachings of the Bible, and more specifically, the Gospel of Jesus Christ!]
V. 67: “O [Muslim] Messenger! Proclaim the Message, which has been sent to you from your Lord… And Allah will defend you from men who mean mischief. For Allah guides not those who reject [Muslim] Faith.
V. 68: “Say: ‘O People of the Book! [Christians!] You have no ground to stand on unless you stand fast by the Law, the Gospel, and all the revelation that has come to you from your Lord.’ [NEXT, THE SCENE CHANGES ABRUPTLY:] It is the revelation that comes to you [Muslims] from your Lord, [Allah,] that increases in most of them [the Christians] their obstinate rebellion and blasphemy… [against Islam.] But you do not grieve over these people without Faith [in Allah.]
V. 69: “Those who believe in the Qur’an, those who follow the Jewish scriptures, and the Sabians and the Christians – any who believe in ALLAH and in the [Islamic] Last Day, and work [Islamic] righteousness, on them shall be no fear…
V. 70: “We took the Covenant of the Children of Israel and sent them [Muslim] Messengers. Every time there came to them a Messenger with what they themselves did not desire [Qur’anic teaching] – some of these they called impostors, and some they go so far as to slay…
V. 72: “They do blaspheme who say: ‘God is Christ the son of Mary…’ But Christ said: ‘O Children of Israel! Worship God, [Allah,] my Lord and your Lord.’ Whoever joins other gods with Allah, [Jesus is God!] Allah will forbid him the Garden, and the Fire will be his abode…
V. 73: “They do blaspheme who say: ‘God is one of three in a trinity,’ for there is no god except one God, Allah. If they do not desist from their word of blasphemy, verily a grievous penalty will befall… them.
V. 74: “Why do they not turn to Allah and seek his forgiveness…
V. 75: “Christ the son of Mary was no more than a [Muslim] Messenger; many were the [Muslim] Messengers that passed away before him… See how Allah makes His Signs clear to them; yet see in what ways they are deluded away from the [Muslim] truth!
V. 76: “Say: ‘Will you worship, besides Allah, something [not even ‘Someone,’ the Lord Jesus Christ] which has no power either to harm or benefit you? But Allah – He it is that hears and knows all things.”
In reality, all of the verses that Greeson uses, (read in context,) contradict the hope of using Qur’anic scripture to turn Muslims to Christ. Muslims are schooled from an early age; it is strange that they do not laugh aloud at Greeson’s references to Qur’anic scripture as a means of Christian evangelism!
“Some Muslims say they believe in the Torah, but not in the Bible:”
Some Muslims allege, "We believe in the Torah [Old Testament Law] and the Gospel, but there are all these other books in the Bible and we do not believe that those are from God.”
These Muslims are merely following Qur’anic instruction. Surah 5.68 decrees, “[Christians] have no ground to stand on unless you stand fast by the Law, the Gospel… [But] it is the [ADDED] revelation that comes to you from your Lord, [the True Gospel of Jesus Christ,] that increases in most of them their obstinate rebellion and blasphemy… [against Islam.]”
Muslims teach that there was no other ‘messenger’ or ‘prophet’ between Jesus in the 1st century A.D. and Mohammed in the 7th century A.D. As a result, they believe that the epistles of the New Testament are fakes. Essentially, they believe that the Qur’an is the only truth and thus remained unadulterated, while the whole Bible, (even the Torah and the Gospel-Books, but especially the epistles,) were changed, corrupted, and added not to fit into the ‘truth’ of Mohammed’s Qur’anic revelations.
When Mohammed wrote in Surah 6:115; 10:64, “The words of Allah are perfect in truth and justice; there is none who can change His words,” he was definitely not referring Muslims to the authenticity of the Bible, as Greeson and his followers allege! As we will see, it would be impossible to prove from the Qur’an that Allah is the God of the Bible, which he is not, of course! Secondly, Greeson missed the context of these verses which states, (S. 5:69,) “Those who believe in the Qur’an, those who follow the Jewish Scriptures, and the… Christians – any who believe in Allah and the Last Day, and work [Islamic] righteousness, on them shall be no fear…”
Fact remains, devout Muslims, as other all other devout religionists, always find excuses to reject Biblical Truth to show people to the ‘glorious’ Qur’an, or to their ‘glorious’ church doctrines!
TRUE BIBLICAL EVANGELIZATION CAN, AND OFTEN WILL OFFEND SOME:
In evangelizing pagans or even Christian religionists, one has only God’s Biblical truth and Holy Spirit conviction to stand
Continuation — Muslims For Christ
ON THIS PAGE:
· “Your Bible says Jesus was in the grave for only 1 day and 2 nights!” - This is what Roman Catholicism/Protestantism teaches, and not Muslims only, but many Christians find so-called ‘proof’ of this statement in Scripture!
· Some Christians even abuse verses from the book of Ester to ‘change’ 1 day and 2 nights (36 hours) into 3 days and 3 nights (72 hours)!
· Find the untwisted Scriptural truth of this debate in the following contextual Scriptures and in the graph at the end of this discussion!
· Remember that unlike Western time, a 24-hour Hebrew day begins at sunset and ends at sunset.
· The following is DEFINITELY NOT a “4-day account of Jesus in the grave!”